Two Months before your move
- Start to clean out things you won't bring. Plan a garage sale to sell it. It's not free to ship, so if you don't need it, get rid of it! Clothes, old school projects, and strange gifts from ex's all fall into this category.
- Start shopping around for a furniture mover. Decide if you want to pack yourself or have professionals pack for you (often wise if you want to guarantee that insurance will cover breakage). Generally, two months is plenty of time though if you are planning on moving in the summer months, you might want to start looking 10 weeks in advance to be safe.
- Moving Insurance. While shopping for furniture removal, check out insurance and call your insurance company to see if you are already covered while moving. Then you can relax, set up your things in your new office as your things arrive, knowing that your belongings are insured.
- Start talking to young children the impending move. Moves to new locations can be traumatic for young children. Preparing them in advance gives the child plenty of time to prepare for the move.
One Month before your move
- Start Packing. As early as one month before, you can buy boxes, packing supplies (markers, etc.) and tape. Pack rarely used china or off-season clothes. When packing, keep in mind that it's most important to fill boxes to capacity. Under-filled boxes can get crushed and over-filled boxes may fall apart. Pick the right size box for the job--boxes should be between 5-15 kg's each.
- Save all your bills. Remember to save your last bills--they have crucial information like account numbers and customer service telephone numbers that will help you change your utilities, credit cards, magazine subscriptions, etc.
- Change magazine subscriptions to new address. In the last few hectic weeks, you probably won't have time to read them anyway!
- Get a copy of medical records. We've just heard too many horror stories of people losing medical records because they don't see a physician or dentist for a while, etc. Get a copy of your medical records and transfer them to a new physician in your new location.
Two Weeks before your move
- Cancel your local newspaper. Or change the address if you get a major national paper delivered to your house.
- Notify all financial accounts of your move. Banks, credit cards, brokerages (personal stocks/mutual funds, other investments, etc.) all need to know your new address. Make a list and call/write them all!
Three Days Before your move
- Disconnect major appliances. Refrigerator, washer and dryer, etc. should all be disconnected, defrosted, and dried out.
- Finish packing!
- Valuables. There are a small number of things that you'll probably want to carry with you or in a personal suitcase. Passport, jewelry, cash, house deeds and other important documents should be set aside and stored in a safe place.
- First Night. For each member of your household, you'll want to pack a few nights' worth of clothes, bedding, toiletries, etc. And food for meals. Remember that it will take you some time to UNPACK on the other end!
- Enjoy! Since you've prepared so well, just relax while the movers load your well-packed boxes onto the truck!